Monday 31 August 2009

Realization of the day 9

"You're gorgeous, jump in the back here with me" the pretty little blond Irish girl said from the back of the Audi. "Come on I won't tell anyone, I'll make it fun" she continued undeterred by the fact that I was a monk. Then came a flurry of rather obscene suggestions which I dully laughed at and gave my presentation of a Reservoir of Pleasure to her. She took the book as did the other 2 people in the car and they all gave a donation. I said goodbye, she gave her lusty advances one last go and when I declined she waved farewell with a rather bemused look on her face. That had probably never happened to her before.

It's quite funny because before I became a monk these things never happened to me.
13 years ago I would have jumped at the chance, my uncontrolled senses going into overdrive. But now the illusory nature of lust no longer has such a strong hold over me. Due to association with Krishna Consciousness I have come to realize that the enjoyable yet temporary pleasure of sex just isn't as attractive as a good few hours of kirtan (chanting with live music).
Yet the material energy still tries to tempt me away, she knows my mind is fickle so she will never give up. Thankfully I also know my mind is fickle and so does Krishna and that is why I became a monk, to be in a atmosphere that promotes spiritual enjoyment and progression, with like minded people experiencing a higher pleasure. Just like the Irish girl at Creamfields was going to associate with 50,000 other ravers to get what she was looking for, so should we. If we are looking for spiritual happiness we won't get it by association with materialistic people, we have to search out the company of the saintly persons who can give us a higher, more satisfying happiness than anything the material energy (Maya) can offer us. Then in that association we will become spiritually strong, resolute on our path of devotion towards God.


Lastly for today I have to apologize for not posting anything for a few days. I have been having some problems with posting to this blog from my Blackberry, which is the only way that I can when I am not at the Temple. These problems have now been sorted out and I will be leaving Vodafone as soon as I can :)

No comments:

Post a Comment