Monday 25 May 2009

Radical Politics

Over the past 2 weeks I think I must have started to write then stopped and deleted what I'd done a good 8 times. I don't know why but everything just seemed rubbish, to contrived or just obviously uninspired.
And so it comes to this my 9th attempt. No matter how this sounds its going up.
I've got a radical idea for cleaning up the political system.....Don't pay politicians.
Political corruption isn't new yet its in the spotlight once more. The people we elected abusing their power yet again.
Now this may seem like a strange topic for a monk to getting involved with but I truly believe in my statement above that the people who lead the country should not be paid. In fact it's not even all that radical its based on a ancient system of society called vanasrama dhama.

In the Veda's (ancient texts) a system is presented that suggests that the people who lead society have to be beyond corruption and the only true way to have this is if they live in poverty, free from material desires and objects. If there where no 'perks of the job' how many of these politicians would still do it. So many have quit because they are getting questioned about their actions. They should in fact be impartial, poor and lead a spiritually centred life of simplicity and contemplation, only then can they present what is for the actual good of the people.

This also brings up another question of whether the current system of a democratic society works? After all we vote these people in. At the end of the day we elected people who cheat us then we moan about it. How do we change the system, I have an idea but thats going to stir things up a bit and I'll leave that for another day. 
At least the Vedic system makes sure those who are leading and guiding society are actually doing it for our own good with no material motivation.

Would be interesting.

Now I'm am working on my next post, it will be up in 3 days, I promise :)

3 comments:

  1. Tell us about the alternative political system!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spencer, Swansea.27 May 2009 at 00:06

    I think politicians aren't paid enough in this country. Surely they must be worth as much as a doctor?

    Are there any people left in kali-yuga who would really be able to do what you propose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re Spencer:
    I think there are people of that quality, the question is would they want to do it?
    Also I really think things are way to far gone and it would take something radical to change them. Like a total collapse of the economy...but that could never happen.....;)

    ReplyDelete